What is SEO?
You’ve finally set up a brand new, professionally designed website and now you may be asking, what’s next? How do I get the right visitors to my site and get more business? That answer lies in the multi-layered world of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). You can carefully select the right factors (of which we’ll discuss later) on your site, that ensure more visitors. More visitors means more business. These factors are all geared at ensuring your business website ranks higher on Google and other search engines, giving you the advantage of having your website pages pop up first among the thousands of others in the same industry. Let’s have a closer look into the world of SEO.
HOW DOES SEO WORK?
SEO drives targeted website traffic to your website from multiple search engines. This is a large source of traffic and it works by demonstrating to search engines that the content on your site is the best result for the specific topic or keywords searched. According to this breakdown, nearly 60% of all traffic on the web starts with a Google search.
HOW DOES GOOGLE FIND YOU?
Google’s job is to rank web pages, not websites. For example, if your business makes aluminium doors and windows, it does not mean that every page on your site should rank for the search “aluminium doors and windows”. By strategically using different keywords and topics on different pages, you can rank higher.
The ultimate goal is to create content that is optimized for both the search engines and your site visitors. Business owners should try and create a variety of content pieces that are well-written and curated about topics that are related to your business and potential audience. There are many ways to create well-thought-out content for your website, which can help you improve your online offering and search engine rankings. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Blog posts and articles: Keep it short and simple.
- Social media content: Engage with your followers and be consistent.
- How-To’s and Tutorials: Teach your fans about something you do .
- Videos: People want to connect with you and get to know you
IMPROVE YOUR RANKING WITH THESE FACTORS
In our intro, we briefly mentioned search factors. These are considered on-page SEO factors that can help you improve your search ranking. Let’s see what some of these mean:
- Title Tag: The title tag appears on each page of your website. It gives search engines information about your page.
- Meta Description: This should include the main keyword from your website. The meta description on your website gives search engines more detailed information about your page.
- Sub-headings: This may not seem like a big deal, but it is. Subheadings make your content reader-friendly and improves your SEO. You can usually find subheading options in your text toolbox.
- Internal Links: This is creating a selection of content or internal links that link to other content on your site.
- External Links: These are links within your content that link to another website related to the content on that specific page.
- Image Name and ALT Tags: Website visitors love images so try to include them in your content. Giving your images a name or alternative tags help search engines index your images better.
As you can see, many technical factors determine the success of your website and how many leads it can organically generate for you. Make good use of SEO and it can bring you the desired traffic your business needs.
Still not sure about digital marketing? Read why digital marketing is the way forward.
Find more business tips on our brand new Business To Business website.